Better Value for Ratepayers
Due to a number of factors, Nillumbik has the highest rates of any interface Council in Victoria. We pay these rates so Council can provide services to the community and it is Council’s responsibility to manage their finances properly so you can get the best possible value out of your rates.
Council must use rates to do the things that the community needs.
Rates fund a huge number of essential services in our community including maintenance of roads, drainage, rubbish collection, protection of the environment, community facilities such as parks and libraries, beautification of our neighbourhoods and much more. It is up to Council to spend your rates responsibly to bring good value to your community in a way that no one else will.
What Should Council Do?
We pay our rates. We deserve good value from them. To ensure this, Council needs to increase revenue by working with State and Federal Governments to win grants and relieve the burden on ratepayers. I am working hard to put Nillumbik in a strong position to argue for Government funding to supplement your rates.
I am working hard to put Nillumbik in a strong position to advocate for Government funding to supplement your rates.
Council needst to conduct thorough community consultation to find out which projects would be most beneficial to the community so money can be spent well and not wasted. I already know the community is keen for projects which will:
- Improve drainage and grading to avoid flooding
- Improve road safety for people and wildlife, especially in North Warrandyte, Kangaroo Ground and St Andrews
- Establish new walking paths to make our home safer and more walkable
- Improve accessibility around the shire
- Revitalise shopping precincts such as Research Shops
- Improve parking in busy areas
- Protect and enhance our Green Wedge
- Create more family-friendly facilities such as playgrounds and BMX tracks
- Build more road crossings
These projects, and others, will create the services and infrastructure that the community needs. This is how you create better value for ratepayers